Thursday July 21 2016


Waking up at 9:35 a.m.

Irish Oatmeal with Cinnamon, Maple Syrup, Raisins, and Kefir. Coffee.

Hitting the road – scooping up Jimmy Wiseman before the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel toll. DEJA's got a gig in Maryland tonight. The other half of the crew is driving in separate vehicles, one towing a trailer with all our gear. But it's just Jimmy and I in my car. While flying across the bridge and tunnel we discuss the timeless quality of nature – he's an outdoorsman who loves fishing and relaxing in the tranquility of a creek or sea. When comparing natural life with human culture we move, grow, and change so quickly. Life moves fast for us as human beings all the while the rest of earth just watches and waits.

We get a scare when one of the Maryland state cops pulls us over. 71 in a 55. He's one of the decent kind who lets us off on a warning cause he considered the fact we're not from around here.

After about 4 and a half hours we arrive at the Maryland Live! Casino. Jimmy and I take a peak inside.

"I've never seen so many slot machines in my life," I tell Jimmy.

Nobody really looks like they're having a good time, or at least a rewarding time, but I could be wrong. Somewhere here someone is winning big bucks.

Settling into our Aloft hotel rooms a mile away. It's faux classy in here.

Back at the casino. Setting up on the stage at Rams Head, a venue right in the middle of all the casino action. I remember a long time ago I played a show here with Mae on this same stage. While feeling nostalgic I march along the carpet watching people try their luck at the slot machines. The beeping and cha-ching sounds go off constantly – you can hear an ambient drone of the music from all the games, a sound that keeps people affixed to their stools, eyes glued to the spinning images and numbers.

Salmon Jerky. String Beans. Jasmine Rice.

We go on at 9 p.m. 2 sets tonight. Enjoying a Strawberry Milkshake in between.

Afterwards, we load out. Then, I'm off to the poker tables. I really want to take advantage of being here to experience a real live poker setting. I fork out a hundred dollars worth of chips and sit at table 43, a perfect melting pot of characters. I win only one hand with a flush and after an hour I go out with a 9-6 full house but it gets beaten by an Ace-6 full house. Well, it was fun while it lasted. It's no fun to walk out of a casino with less money than you walked in with.

Back at the hotel settling in.

Sleep 3:30 a.m.

[i] Image by me.

No comments: