Monday October 23 2017


Waking up at 9:48 a.m. just in time to make breakfast at the Casablanca buffet. I sit with Eugene, one of the crew members of the trip, while I slurp down not-so-fresh French Toast, very fresh Eggs, and Coffee.

After some confusion on when the shuttle to the airport is arriving at the lobby we eventually turn in our key, wristband, and blue towel. Returning the blue towel is apparently part of the agreement we signed on Friday – part of a long list of strange expectations this resort has for its patrons. Meanwhile, our legs and foreheads are sweating.

In route to the airport we ride through the city. Tony attempts to provide commentary on a microphone up in the passenger seat while locals clean the windshield in hopes to make a peso.

Arriving at the Puerto Plata airport and so begins our long day of airporting. Checking bags. Getting through security. Setting up a command center before our first flight inside a fast food joint where the only outlet exists.

On the plane. Shuffling through the iPod and listening to long lost tunes. I’m squished between a sleeping dude on my left and blonde haired surfer dude on my right. Sleeping on and off but nothing out of the ordinary.

Arriving at the Miami airport. Then we have to start going through the motions again. Walking. Walking. Walking. Waiting in lines. TSA security. Customs. At some point I meet up with Caitlin and Kim at a Mojito Café near our gate. We’re surprised at how amazing the food and drinks are compared to our pickings over the weekend in Dominican Republic. Enjoying a Tomato Mozzarella Sandwich, Pita Bread with Black Bean Hummus, Salad, and a Dragon Berry Mojito.  

Now onto another plane, the commuter type, or as it was once called “a closet on wheels”. We’re packing in like sardines. I keep my ears satisfied with music and read through an Adbusters. Meanwhile, lightning flashes consistently in the near distance – a cool sight along the wing of the plane.

We hit turbulence here and there but eventually land safely on the ground in good old ORF Norfolk airport. Mom picks me up and takes me home.

Recounting tales with Ana and mom about the trip.

Chamomile Tea.

Sleep 3: 30 a.m.

[i] Images by me.

No comments: